Death by suicide is a serious problem that causes pain to hundreds of thousands of people every year around the globe. On average, 129 suicides occur per day, around the world. The goal of this post is to get an overview of the global trends in suicide rates among various sub-groups and across time.
Some key observations of the following post are as follows:
- Suicide rates are generally decreasing globally.
- On average, suicide rates increase with age, even when controlling for countries and continents.
- There is a very weak positive correlation between a country's gpd per capita and suicide rate (across all sub-groups).
- Male suicide rates far outstrip that of females, and are more 3 times higher in some high-income countries.
- Among my countries of interest, Lithuania sticks out in particular.
Data Source: https://www.kaggle.com/russellyates88/suicide-rates-overview-1985-to-2016